Sunday, August 2, 2026

Wonder Man’ Star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Reacts to Marvel Series Cancellation: “See You at the Emmys

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, who played the title character in Marvel's Wonder Man, shared his thoughts after the Disney+ series was canceled.

Disney+ had planned to make a second season of the show in March but later decided not to renew it.
The decision was unexpected, especially since the first season did well.It opened in late January and had 618 million minutes of viewership during its first week, according to Nielsen data.Although it didn’t stay in the top 10 original streaming titles, it still got good reviews from critics and fans.Abdul-Mateen was also nominated for an Emmy for his role in the show.

After the show was canceled, Abdul-Mateen posted on Instagram to talk about how he felt.


He wrote, "Word just dropped that Wonder Man won't be coming back.
That's life, right?Everything will shake out."

He added, "I wanted to say thank you to everyone who watched the show, enjoyed the show, and shared that they enjoyed the show in some way or another.
The show worked.And that's my favorite thing about it.I could see it on the faces of the YouTube Reactors (because I watched along with you all this time.Shoutout to you all) and I can see in the messages I get saying how the show reminded some of you not to give up, and I feel it in the genuine love shared when I bump into some of you all during the day.So, thinking of you all today.I'm glad we got to be a part of something cool."

He ended his post with, "Thank you for watching… And uhh… See you at the EMMYS."

Abdul-Mateen is up for best actor in a comedy series at the Emmys, along with Steve Carell, Matthew Rhys, Jason Segel, and Martin Short.

The creators of Wonder Man, Destin Daniel Cretton and Andrew Guest, had also planned to return for the second season.
They executive produced the show along with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Jonathan Schwartz, and Brad Winderbaum.Guest was the showrunner, and Cretton directed several episodes.

The cast also included Ben Kingsley, X Mayo, Demetrius Grosse, Zlatko Burić, Arian Moayed, Olivia Thirlby, Dan Donohue, and Kameron J.
Meadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment