Monday, August 3, 2026

‘Wonder Man’ Co-Creator Says ‘Contracts Were Signed, Schedules Were Cleared’ Before Marvel Series Was Canceled: ‘This Is Not a Marketing Stunt’

Andrew Guest, the showrunner and co-creator of "Wonder Man," posted on TikTok on Saturday to thank fans and explain the show's cancellation.He said, “I’ve been listening.I really appreciate all of you.I feel what you’re feeling, and I want to clear things up when I can.This isn’t a marketing trick.There’s no movie in the works, and no one’s schedule was the issue.Yahya, Destin, Sir Ben, and I all loved making this show.We were all really passionate about continuing it and wanted to.Contracts were signed, and schedules were cleared.”

He added, “The writers’ room was supposed to start this month.
Production was set to begin early next year.But Disney and Marvel made a decision internally that it didn’t make sense for them, even though it did just a few months ago.That’s about all I know.”

The video player is currently playing an ad.
You can skip the ad in 5 seconds with a mouse or keyboard.

Variety reported in late July that "Wonder Man" was canceled by Disney+ before its second season could launch.
This was a big change for Disney, which had announced in March that the show would return for Season 2.

Star Yahya Abdul Mateen II, who won an Emmy for his role as Simon Williams, shared his thoughts on Instagram when he heard the cancellation.
He wrote, “Word just dropped that Wonder Man won’t be coming back for Season 2.(And if you don’t knowww, now ya knoww!) That’s life, right?Everything will shake out.”

Other main cast members from Season 1 included X Mayo, Demetrius Grosse, Zlatko Burić, Arian Moayed, and Olivia Thirlby.
Destin Daniel Cretton, who directed "Spider-Man: Brand New Day," co-created "Wonder Man" with Guest and directed the first episode.

The show’s description says, “Aspiring Hollywood actor Simon Williams (Abdul-Mateen II) is struggling to get his career going.
During a chance meeting with Trevor Slattery (Kingsley), an actor whose biggest roles may be behind him, Simon learns legendary director Von Kovak (Burić) is remaking the superhero film ‘Wonder Man.’ These two actors, at opposite ends of their careers, both chase life-changing roles in this film, offering audiences a look behind the scenes of the entertainment industry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment